Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 1 at AIMS

Today was my very first day at AIMS, and I'm about ready to crash into bed. This morning I mailed a few things, checked out my hotel and took a taxi to my home for the next six weeks: The Studentenheim. It's a 4-story dormitory where all of the students, staff and faculty for the AIMS program will live over the summer, in addition to other residents. (Just to note, AIMS is the American Institute of Musical Studies and has been present in Graz for the past 40 summers!) Today is also the 4th of July, and ah, one of my favorite holidays. I'm sad to be missing the family BBQ and fireworks, but am nonetheless incredibly happy to be here in my dorm in Austria. :)
I was one of the first students to check in, and had the opportunity to get all set up in my room. And what a room it is. Not in a good way. LOL. It's a dorm room, so of course it's tiny, but at least it has a sink and places to stow my many things. After putting my things away, I toured the building a bit to get my surroundings, signed up for laundry time, and got my internet access all squared away.
After all that, I joined about twenty other AIMS students for a tour of the city. Our guide took us around to some great places and gave us a short history lesson on Graz. More importantly, I was able to size up my competition! Bwahaha (evil laugh). Okay...just kidding on the evil laugh part. I was able to get to know some of the other students - where they came from, why they are here, etc. They seem like great people with a wide variety of experiences and stories. It is clear that some people really want this and others are vacationing for the summer while singing here and there. I'm in it to win it! And by 'win it,' I mean give it my all. In addition to singing the very best I can, I am here to learn how to market and differentiate myself, network with professionals in the biz, and refine my performance skills. To open my heart to my audience.
I'm excited to get started, but this is going to be an interesting week. Tomorrow is another orientation easy day, as students are still arriving and getting through their jet lag, but then we will have our hearings. By Sunday all of our hearings should be done and we will have our teacher and coach assignments and our final class schedules. Classes start Monday, a week from today! Yay! I'm ready to get to work.
Successes of the day: Ordering two meals completely auf Deutsch! :) I tried ice cream with pumpkin oil, a local specialty. I also had cheese spaetzle and goulash. Yum! Tomorrow I will stay away from the fatty stuff and stick with vegetables, otherwise I won't be able to fit into my dresses!!! :) Gute nacht!

1 comment:

  1. OMG cheese spaetzle. One of my favorites. I own a spaetzle maker, by the way...

    ReplyDelete