Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Class Schedule

Wow - what a wonderful couple days it has been! I received my class schedule on Sunday, and here it is:
Mondays & Wednesdays
10:40-11:25 German
11:30-12:15 Voice Lesson w/Evangelina Colon
12:15-1:00 Lunch
1:00-1:45 French/German/Italian Diction
4:15-5:00 Voice Recitals on Mondays / Vocal Coach Studio Class on Wednesdays
Tuesdays & Thursdays
9:50-10:35 Stage Artistry
10:40-11:25 German
11:30-12:15 Audition Training Seminar
12:15-1:45 Lunch
1:50-2:35 Voice Coach w/Darryl Cooper
4:15-5:00 Voice Studio Class on Tuesdays / Special Seminars & Concerts on Thursdays
Fridays
10:40-11:25 German
Isn't that fabulous?! I get to sing and learn about singing ALL DAY, and there is usually something exciting going on in the evenings.
I am so fortunate to be working with my voice teacher, Evangelina Colon. She is from Puerto Rico and has a ridiculous amount of performance and teaching experience. Her teaching philosophy is similar to Awilda's, so I feel like we are already speaking the same language. In our first lesson, we mostly spent the time getting to know each other. She also vocalized me to get a sense of my range and timbre. My current range is a low E to a high F! Yay! She suggested that we work on my songs that highlight my coloratura abilities, so we are going to be working on "Caro Nome" (Rigoletto), "Piangero" (Giulio Cesare) and...my dreaded "Ach, ich liebte" (Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail). I sang "Ach, ich liebte" for my Met audition last Fall, and it has since gotten worse - mostly because I feel a deep anxiety when I sing it and so my throat literally closes up. I really want to overcome my issues with that aria, because I know it fits my voice well and could be a fabulous song for me. Just need to get over the mental part. 90% of singing is mental. I'm really looking forward to working with Sra. Colon!
I am also incredibly fortunate to be working with Darryl Cooper. As a vocal coach, he will be making sure I am singing my songs with proper diction, phrasing and with proper musicality for the aria. He currently works at the San Francisco Conservatory. We had our first coaching session today, and I'm already a big fan. We worked on "Ach, ich fuhl's" (Die Zauberflote) - and he helped me think about the song in new ways. We talked about Pamina's state of mind when she sings the aria in the opera, and how heartbroken she is, as well as how I can phrase the music to reflect the emotion while staying true to what Mozart wrote. When I lift my head up I need to BE Pamina, with all of the heartbreak and deep sadness at the thought that her love with Tamino is gone. Darryl told me to just go for it, and let go, and take risks. I didn't realize how little I was opening up my heart with this song. I have felt deep sadness, and need to let that come out to connect with my character and ultimately, my audience. If I don't feel it in my heart, how can anyone be touched listening to me sing? Darryl is going to be great for me.
This is so exciting...I am just incredibly happy to be here and know that it's going to be a great summer! I go to bed exhausted every night, but it is a good exhaustion. I am so energized by this work.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds AMAZING! I am so excited for all of the experience you're going to gain! Plus it sounds fun to boot!

    I tell my kids that music is 90% mental all. the. time. It's so true and easy to understand, but hard to apply...

    ReplyDelete