Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wow - things are moving fast!

Has it really been 8 days since I last blogged?! Time is going by quickly over here. I am now in my second week of classes and am BUSY. :) Thanks for your patience.
So last week was amazing. My voice lessons and coachings have been so wonderful. It's really great to get two of each type of instruction each week. Each day is so incredibly full; it's a bit overwhelming at times. I have to consistently remind myself to focus on what my main priorities are here so that I don't spread myself too thin or get off track. Daily German classes are helping me learn the language, but I find that I'm a bit shy using it out in the 'real world' - except for in a restaurant. I'm pretty good at ordering gelato, but need to expand my repertoire, shall we say...
One of my favorite classes is Stage Artistry. I have a fabulous instructor, and she has been so helpful with providing me the tools to add more interest and color to my arias. I have some worksheets that I'm filling out for each of my arias, to be very purposeful with my actions/thoughts/emotions while singing. Very cool class - and very helpful for me.
As I wrote in a prevous post, I was really hoping to get cast to sing a certain aria with the orchestra. Unfortunately I did not get it, but a really talented and wonderful singer did and I wish her the best. I was upset about it for a night - thinking "I spent the last six months learning that aria and I think I do a really great job with it. What did I do wrong? Why didn't I get it?". But the next morning was a new day, and I realized I was being too competitive and that my energy should be spent focusing on improving myself, not on the things I'm NOT getting cast in. There are so many great singers here that I'm catching myself comparing what I have with others. I need to just keep focusing on doing my best, and great things will come in the right time.
We've had an agent and an Intendant come to AIMS this last week, which has been very informative. They have each spoken to the students about how the German/Austrian music system works and how a potential client can audition and work with them. A singer will audition for an agent, get signed on, and then the agent will send the singer to auditions that are appropriate for that singer's voice type and experience. When a singer auditions, she is expected to introduce herself and her song in German, and be able to converse with the panel in German afterwards. Talk about motivation for learning more German!!! The Intendant spoke about what singers should wear, what songs they should choose, what qualities he is looking for in a singer before offering him/her the job, how much money singers should expect to make their first year with a smaller house, benefits, etc. The Intendant and agent have been auditioning students who are ready for an international career. I have not been chosen to audition for them yet, but will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment