Monday, August 15, 2011

Last Week of AIMS - Tuesday

Tuesday was yet another busy day, thanks to an agent audition in the afternoon and a Spanish concert in the evening. Oh yes, you heard me right, an AGENT AUDITION!!!!! I received permission from my instructors to audition for a European agent on Tuesday (each student that signed up for an audition had to be deemed ready). After my morning classes, I changed into my audition clothes, had a final coaching with Darryl, took a deep breath and walked into that room with an intention to project confidence and bring that energy to every moment of my arias. There were two agents in the room as well as my audition training seminar class instructors. I presented my resume and headshot, handed the music over to the accompanist, announced my name and my first aria "Caro Nome." I worked really hard on that aria all summer and am really happy with how I sang it during the audition. I focused on really being Gilda, with all of her first-love emotions and colors and excitement. I didn't even feel nervous - a really great moment of success for me. Instead, I felt excited to sing and so alive and proud that I have something great to offer the world. After the aria was over, the agent asked what other arias I had prepared. I listed "Depuis le jour," "Ach, ich fuhl's" and "O quante volte." She asked me to sing Pamina, so "Ach, ich fuhl's" it was. I nailed that aria - nailed it! I wasn't trying to be Pamina; I WAS Pamina and I was singing to Tamino with his back to me, begging him to turn around and prove that he still loved me. After I was done, the agent asked me in German if I spoke German, and I answered "ich kann ein bissien Deutsch sprechen" (I can speak a little German) and both she and the other agent said that my German was, and I quote: "very good." :) And then she said "sehr schon, sehr schon" (very pretty, very pretty). I thanked her and the other agent, and then walked out of the room. While I didn't get a job offer from her or the other agent (yet), I am really happy with what I offered. Again, a fabulous moment where I realized "I'm in Austria, auditioning for agents and I'm holding my own!!!!!"
Later that evening I performed in a Spanish concert which was held at a retirement home. I sang "Del cabello mas sutil" and "Al Amor" by Obradors; two beautiful songs that I have sung many times. Thank goodness I didn't have to worry about memorizing them; I was able to just relax and enjoy making music. I really love Spanish songs, and was given a great compliment by one of the Puerto Rican students when he said that he could understand every single word I sang. What a glorious day!

1 comment:

  1. YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! This post was so exciting to read :).

    ReplyDelete